Originated from Hainan Island of Southern China. This dish had became one of the most popular dish to make, due to it’s simplicity. You can make Hainanese chicken and make chicken stock at the same time in one process.
Hainanese Chicken comes with many variety of sauces. This recipe provides two variety of sauces, the classic Soy sauce and the Malaysian style Garlic ginger sauce.
- 1 whole Chicken
- 1.5 lt Water
- 1 thumb-size Ginger, sliced
- 2 sticks Shallots
- 1 Onion, sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1/2 Sesame oil
Garlic Ginger Sauce:
- 2 cloves Garlic, grated
- 1 thumb-size Ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Read instruction here
- Rub Chicken in salt and pepper, inside and outside.
- Stuff Ginger, Shallot, Onion inside the cavity of the Chicken.
- Using cotton string bind the legs together closing the cavity. Tie the chicken on four sides and tie a long piece of string on the chicken, so the chicken can dangle down on a piece of long string.
- Store chicken in the fridge overnight.
- Place chicken in a large pot, fill it up with water until it just covers the chicken. Make sure the long piece string sits outside the pot, as you need to pull out the chicken out of the hot water by the string.
- Bring water to a roaring boil and immediately turn heat down to simmer.
- Simmer chicken for 30 mins with closed lid.
- Have a cold (icy) water ready in a large bowl (that fits the chicken).
- Using the string, pull Chicken out of the water and immediately dunk it in the cold water. The cold water will immediately firm up the skin of the chicken preventing it from ripping apart when cutting.
- Chop the chicken into small pieces. Serve with the sauce of your choice.
- Do not throw out the water, it is now a chicken stock.
- Use the chicken stock to cook rice with creating Chicken rice.
Garlic has an excellent anti-microbial and anti-fungal property. However, it will lose most of its medicinal property when cooked. This sauce is a delicious way to eat garlic raw.