Chicken Soto is a popular Indonesian chicken soup street food. Its flavourful soup cooked in South-East Asian spices guarantee to make you come back for more. A similar soup dish utilizing beef and beef broth is also available.
- 2 cups Chicken, shredded
- ¼ medium Cabbage, shredded
- 1 large Tomato, chopped
- Hard-boiled Egg, to serve
- Bean sprout, to serve
- Lime wedge, to serve
- Shallot, chopped (garnish)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 lt Chicken stock (if stock is thick, use half stock-half water)
- ½ cup Coconut milk (optional)
- 1 tbsp Tamarind paste
- 1 stick Lemongrass, mid-section
- 1 thumb-size Ginger, crushed
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves
- 2 Bay leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 stick of Lemongrass, white part only
- 1 Red onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- Discard the hard woody part of Lemongrass. Cut the lemongrass into two sections, pale part and green (mid-section) part. Bruise the green section of Lemongrass by pounding it with the blunt side of a knife or bottle base.
- Combine stock ingredients in a large soup pot, bring to a boil, then turn heat down to simmer for 20 mins.
- While the soup is simmering, blend all Spice paste ingredients in a food processor, add a little water for easy blending.
- In a small skillet, sautee spice paste until aromatic and semi-dry.
- Add Chicken, Cabbage and Tomato into the soup pot. Give them a quick stir and then turn off heat. Let the soup sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Note: If chicken is raw, simmer the chicken for 5 minutes first before adding the vegetables.
- Serve Chicken Soto in a soup bowl, add Bean sprout, Egg and Shallot on top. Serve with a wedge of Lime.
Other South-East Asian Recipes:
A traditional Indonesian dish cooked with South-East Asian spices, incredibly flavorful dish. An Indonesian traditional soup, consisting of broth with vegetables and tenderized meat.
A warming soup very popular dish in Indonesia. This is a hearty and delicious soup recipe you will never forget.