A traditional Indonesian dish cooked with South-East Asian spices, incredibly flavorful dish. Beef Soto is an Indonesian hearty traditional soup, mainly consisting of delicious slow cooked broth with vegetables and tenderized meat. A similar soup dish utilizing chicken and chicken broth is also available.
- 1 kg Beef, cubed
- 2 medium Carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 cups White Radish, cubed
- 1 cups Cabbage, shredded
- 1 Tomato, cut into wedges
- Shallots, finely chopped (garnish)
Soup and Spices:
- 1.5 lt Beef stock
- 2 tbs Tamarind paste
- 1 quill Cinnamon, whole
- 3 Cloves, whole
- 1 stick Lemongrass, bruised
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves
- 3 Bay leaves
- Salt Pepper to taste
- Combine soup and spices ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil and turn down heat to simmer. Add Beef and simmer for 20 mins.
Note: Skip this step if beef is already cooked as part of meat stock making process.
- Add Carrots and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add Radish, Cabbage and Tomato. Turn heat off and let it sit for 5 mins.
- Take out spices out of the soup and serve in a bowl, garnish with Shallots.
Other South-East Asian Recipes:
Chicken Soto is a popular Indonesian chicken soup street food. Its flavourful soup cooked in South-East Asian spices guarantee to make you come back for more.
A warming soup very popular dish in Indonesia. This is a hearty and delicious soup recipe you will never forget.