While Bali, Indonesia may be well known for its tourism and gorgeous holiday destination, this fish stew is one of its hidden gems. Full of flavor and the healthy Omega-3, adding this to your weekly diet can provide you with a good amount of EPA/DHA.
Note: Omega-3 fatty acids in fish can be easily damaged in the cooking process, and therefore it is recommended that you cook the fish under low-medium heat. Consuming yogurt or other probiotic rich fermented food can protect you from harmful effect of mercury in fish.
- 1 lt Fish stock
- 4 pieces of small Fish cutlets
- 1 medium Carrot, chopped.
- 1 medium Radish, chopped.
- 1 stick of Lemongrass, white part only
- 2 sticks of Shallots, cut into strips.
- 2 tbs Lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Basil (garnish)
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 sticks of Shallots
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ½ Red onion
- Blend all paste ingredients in a food processor.
- Sautee the paste in medium heat until partially dry, about 1-2 minutes.
- Bruise the Lemongrass by pounding it with the blunt side of a knife or bottle base.
- Add Fish stock, Carrot and Lemongrass into the mix. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 mins.
- Add Fish cutlets, Radish, Shallots and Lemon juice. Simmer for 5 mins and turn heat off.
- Discard Lemongrass, garnish, and serve.
Soup/Stew Recipe Ideas:
Meat stock is a close cousin of bone broth. Its goodness cannot be understated as it is an important component in all gut healing protocol.
The efficacy of bone broth is gut healing needs no introduction. Making bone broth is super easy and require very little knowledge of cooking.
Russian borscht is a delicious classic hearty stew recipe made from simple ingredients. A perfect stew to have in cold weather.